Julie A. Buonocore
Julie A. Buonocore is a partner in Coffey Modica O’Meara Capowski’s New Jersey and Philadelphia offices. National insurers, third-party administrators and global self-insured companies rely on her practical and creative resolutions to their complex matters. She understands the importance of having a deep understanding of clients’ businesses and objectives in order to develop legal strategies that are aligned with them.
Focused on insurance defense for her entire career, Julie primarily handles professional negligence cases, including medical malpractice and long-term care facilities negligence, professional malpractice for lawyers, insurance and real estate agents and brokers, and others. She also represents insurers and their insureds with catastrophic injury general liability cases and handles all aspects of a case through resolution, including trials.
She draws on a full complement of tactics – motions practice, settlement negotiations, arbitration, mediation and others – using them in innovative ways to reach the client’s desired outcome.
Two recent case wins exemplify her strategic approach to case handling. One, on behalf of an international hotel, involved getting a $40 million case dismissed in federal court with a forum non conveniens motion – a strategy with a 20% success rate. The case was dismissed and moved to Mexico, where the potential award would be significantly lower. The other, a negligence case against a real estate broker, was resolved with the court granting her motion to dismiss on the pleadings. The cases concluded before discovery and depositions, saving her client from incurring additional legal fees and paying damages.
Julie closely partners with her clients, allowing them to drive their cases under her guidance. She keeps them abreast throughout the process, discussing and counseling them on how to best resolve their matters to ensure the outcomes meet their short and long-term goals, whether it is reputational, financial, or something else.
- New Jersey
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- US District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- US District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, JD, cum laude
- International and Comparative Law Journal, Editor
- Order of the Coif, Member
- American University, BA, magna cum laude
- Certified Claims Professional (CCP), Professional Lines
- Law Clerk, Hon. Franklin Van Antwerpen, Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Law Clerk, U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Delaware
Awards & Achievements
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2021, 2022
- CLM Young Professional Outside Counsel of the Year 2022
Memberships & Affiliations
- CLM, Young Professional Advisory Board, Liaison to the ADR Committee